24.10.2011 Samsung i520 PDA and Modem parts supported
The Samsung i520 has PDA and Modem modules. The PDA Module is based on the OMAP2430 Processor, and Modem Module is based on the MSM6275 Processor. Both modules are working independently and thus firmware (boot zones) may be damaged either in one of them or in both.
Please note, if alive PDA Module always stays at splash screen upon power up then firmware of the Modem Module is damaged.
Charged battery is required for successful JTAG connection. Do not use an external power supply.
To resurrect Samsung i520 PDA Module please do:
- Solder JTAG cable to the Samsung i520 PDA pads;
- Insert battery;
- Make sure Samsung i520 is selected in the list of models,
- Click Resurrect button;
- Press ‘Power ON’ key;
- Wait till software signals a successful operation completion;
- Disconnect USB cable, de-solder JTAG wires;
Below are the steps which we do ourselves to resurrect a dead i550 modem:
- Solder two JTAG cables to PDA and Qualcomm pads;
- Connect USB data cable to phone and PC;
- Insert battery. LCD shows Samsung logo;
- Make sure Samsung i550 Modem is selected in the list of models, then click Resurrect button. The resurrection module will ask first to attach RIFF JTAG connector to PDA JTAG;
- Step finished successfully, now the module asks to attach RIFF JTAG connector to MSM (modem) JTAG;
- Resurrection sequence started, modem is being flashed;
- Software signaled a successful operation completion;
- Remove battery and put it back again;
- Now phone starts booting, no more permanent Samsung logo.
- De-solder JTAG wires.
Now phone is in bootable condition, that is, even if it does not start up normally, you can flash it using original Samsung downloader software to restore it to the working state.
To different download modes:
- Disconnect PC cable and insert battery;
- Hold both ‘1’ and ‘4’ keys and press ‘Power ON’ button: do not release keys until phone will enter PDA Download Mode.
- Hold both ‘4 and ‘7’ keys and press ‘Power ON’ button: do not release keys until phone will enter All Download Mode.
- Hold both ‘7 and ‘*’ keys and press ‘Power ON’ button: do not release keys until phone will enter Modem Download Mode.
For firmware re-flash we used Apollo 2.80 software – the original Samsung Apollo flasher. Please note, if modem part is damaged you will need to use Modem Module resurrector before starting all firmware reflash.